A sustainable brewing business
We’re people with an environmental conscience and consciousness. In our own small way, in our everyday life, we have habits and practices which lead us to reduce what we consume, to happily use second hand items, to recycle and to have a respect for the community we operate in. At a professional level, Jimmy Swan has been responsible for some fairly innovative and ground breaking installations and technologies relating to reducing energy consumption such as using thermal fluid technology for wort boiling and a solar panel installation of over 400 individual panels. In 2015 he received the SIBA (Society of Independent Brewers) Best Green Business Award. He’s been founding co-chair and steering committee member of Business Futures Forum.
Starting out with our own microbrewery, we’re back to some smaller scale but committed practices that will make us a green business. Look out for our #greenswan hashtag on Twitter.
Swan Brewery Sustainable Brewing Practices
- Our brewery is second hand
- We freecycle surplus office equipment
- We source our raw materials locally
- We work with Herefordshire tradespeople
- We’re involved in the local business community
- We target a local radius for deliveries
- We try to use public transport or cycle to see suppliers, customers and attend meetings
- We share spent grain and hops with farmers, small holders and gardeners
- We pass on empty packaging for reuse